Start Baptistdating com

Baptistdating com

It has been suggested that the original design of the church was by Martino Longhi the Elder, the father of Onorio.

A suggestion was made to bring in Borromini, but this did not work out.

Hence, the interior was designed by Martino Longhi the Younger, son of Onorio, in 1642 and slightly altered by Pietro da Cortona in 1651 after he took on the commission.

The confraternity added their patron St Ambrose to the dedication of the church (Santi Niccolò ed Ambrogio), and restored the fabric.

The work, which probably amounted to a rebuilding, was finished in 1520 after seven years' effort.

San Carlo al Corso is a minor basilica, a titular and conventual church at Via del Corso 437 in the rione Campo Marzio.

Pictures of the church at Wikimedia Commons are here. The full name, preferred by the Diocese of Rome and often used in publications and online sources, is Santi Ambrogio e Carlo al Corso.

The name varies: Tofo, Tofis, Toffo, Tufi, Tufis, Tosto.

By then it was one of the many small parish churches of the mediaeval built-up area, serving about thirty families.

The latter erected the dome and apse in 1668, and it is worth comparing the dome with that of Santi Luca e Martina by the same architect.

The façade was finally completed in 1684 by Gian Battista Menicucci and Mario da Canepina, who are described as Capuchin friars (at least, the latter was).

The site of the old church is occupied by the present private oratory of the Lombard Confraternity, south of the present church with an exterior wall on the Vicolo del Grottino.